Saturday, November 15, 2008

Majolica Majorca Reviews

As mentioned in my previous post, I've gotten my hands on some stuff from Majolica Majorca. Mainly because they were cheap and quite tempting. Normally I'm not a fan of such "princess"-y stuff, but I decided to give them a try since they're an offshoot brand of Shiseido The Makeup :P

So I will be reviewing the stuff I got- Majolica Majorca Pressed Fantasia 24H powder and Skin Lingerie makeup base.



The refill cake + sponge on the left (RM 57.80 for the whole set, I regret to say that I don't remember the individual prices as I've misplaced the receipt) and the case on the right. It looks very fancy, being Majolica Majorca, but I personally think that the Skin Remaker case looks nicer with it's gold and filigree detail.



The insides, once removed from the box and set up (A really easy process of course) :P The sponge, instead of a normal latex (Or latex-like material) sponge like that of normal pressed powders/foundations, is velvety. The sponge case is just a piece of plastic tray (As pictured) placed on top of the powder, which I find quite cumbersome since you'll have to remove the plastic tray (And sponge) to get to the cake. Not to mention that the plastic tray touches the cake, so you can't simply put it anywhere- it would be rather unhygienic. Imagine touching up outside in a public toilet! Where are you going to put the tray? D: I suppose Majolica Majorca could somehow improve on that- I was actually expecting it to be like individual flip-top cases for the sponge and the cake, seeing the size of the compact.

The powder looks really light, but in fact it goes on translucent. I don't get why cosmetics company like embossing things onto their powder- it pains my heart to swirl the brush/sponge on it and see the patterns disappear :( I've applied the powder with the provided sponge and with my Everyday Minerals kabuki brush- both give almost the same results. The powder is also actually quite finely milled and makes my skin feel soft. It sets my foundation, but oil-control wise and lasting power wise it loses when compared to my Make Up For Ever Super Matte Loose Powder. My face started to show traces of shine and oiliness in a shorter period of time. So yeah, it's not replacing my Make Up For Ever Super Matte Loose Powder as HG item.



However, being a loose powder (And quite big), traveling with the Make Up For Ever Super Matte Loose Powder might be troublesome, so I guess Majolica Majorca Pressed Fantasia 24H will be useful if I travel. The case isn't exactly that small though (As pictured), but since it's also pressed powder, it will still be handier to lug around :P



Next up is Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie OD Control- a makeup base. I've stopped using the Silk Naturals Oil Control Primer after I've stopped using mineral makeup (Details about it here), so I'm on a lookout for a foundation primer as I find that it does help makeup last longer and look more radiant, glowy and natural. And at RM 39.90, it is quite affordable- which is mainly a reason why I got it in the first place.



It's texture is more to gel than cream, which is good since I prefer a gel-like consistency. BB creams for instant makes my makeup melt after a few hours, so I'm a bit concerned about that. It doesn't offer any colour correction, nor does it really minimises pores once applied onto skin on its own- but it does make makeup glide on more smoothly (And makeup application is much more easier) and enhances the pore concealing properties of the foundation, meaning that once I apply foundation it covers up my pores better compared to applying foundation just on bare, moisturised skin.

However, my skin looks more even after applying the Skin Lingerie alone- in a sense that there's no shiny-looking T-zone or dry-looking cheeks, just a smooth, even canvas for foundation. I guess that's the meaning of the OD Control- oily/dry control :P Skin feels soft and makeup does last longer than without it, and looks more natural. Normally I'm quite aversive to the whole "glowy, radiant" look as most of the time they make me look more oily and highlights my flaws (Mainly enlarged pores) instead, but with Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie that doesn't happen and my skin looks healthy, and I'm quite satisfied and a happy camper ;) I do need to blot my nose occasionally, but instead of blotting, for example, after 4 hours I need to blot around 6 hours instead.

However, I'm still on the lookout for more makeup bases/primers for comparison. I'm currently having my eye on Shu Uemura UV Underbase Mousse, The Body Shop's Matte It Face And Lips, Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, Shiseido The Makeup Pre-Makeup Cream and even Chanel Base Lumiere Long Lasting Makeup Base, but as mentioned I'm currently trying to control my expenditure T.T Maybe I'll get one once I finish the Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie... but for now I'll do some research on which is better :P

Next up, I will be reviewing the Chanel Mat Lumiere Luminous Matte Powder Makeup SPF10 :) I'm really digging the foundation.

No comments: